To
be honest about my work for the previous week and a half, I have definitely
gotten off track. I hate to say it but I have fallen off schedule as I pack, organize
and clean in preparation for our move from Fort Hood, Texas to Fort Riley,
Texas. I am hoping that as soon as we arrive to our destination and unpack, I
will be able to quickly get back to work and back on schedule.
The
only things that I have been able to check off my task list for my project was
(1) complete the first Reflection paper, (2) have Mr. White review and approve
the project proposal, (3) begin the rough drafts of the story boards, (4)
complete the research compilation and (5) the identification of all
stakeholders.
I
have also had the opportunity to have a meeting with Mr. White via the phone.
We discussed several things including the scope, the cost and the timeline of
the project. We have scaled down the project to include goals for myself and
for Mr. White. For instance, I will design the training and compile the
research for the training, but he will be responsible for having his teachers
complete the training and completing the follow-up walkthroughs to see how the
training is being utilized. He has agreed to the timeline since we worked on it
together and he is perfectly ok with the cost of the project. All of my work is
free! The cost will be taken from me in time but that time will help me achieve
a project for my capstone. So it will work out for everyone.
My short-term work
objectives and my plans for achieving each objective for the next weeks are as
follows:
- Complete my second reflection paper – doing so now and
turning in early due to the move
- Send Pre-EconDa Training Survey via Monkey Survey – by
9/26
- Complete the creation of storyboards for website – by
9/24
- Did not meet this previous
goal, must try to meet by 10/07
- Create Website Shell – by 9/24
- Did not meet this previous
goal, must try to meet by 10/07
- Begin first EconDa Module – by 9/24
- Did not meet this previous
goal, must try to meet by 10/07
- Send Storyboards to Mr. White for approval – 9/24
- Did not meet this previous
goal, must try to meet by 10/07
7.
Complete EconDa Training Module – by 10/07
8.
Create first training video – by 10/15
9.
Begin work on Math EconDa Training Module – by 10/07
10. Begin webpage and video
for Math EconDa Training Module – by 10/07
11. Complete Math EconDa
Training Module – by 10/07
Lessons Learned
This week I have learned
that I am not Superwoman. Although I try my hardest to accomplish several goals
at once, there is only so much time in the day. Unfortunately, my personal life
is winning out over my graduate school life. Packing and moving while also
taking care of my little girl is more important at this moment than school work
and my school is lacking because of it. It stresses me that this is currently
happening but it is a part of life. Things will come up and a person must
prioritize.
If I had known for sure
that we were moving at the beginning of October (we were previously told this
summer), I am not sure that I would have taken two courses this fall.
Especially when one course is my Practicum Capstone course, the other one is on
an entirely new software program and with already having an incomplete from a
previous course. I would advise all other students to be more realistic when they
look at taking more than one course. The Capstone course takes time and
dedication. In retrospect, I wish I had take the Flash course and worked on the
incomplete this fall. Then if I had taken the Capstone in the spring, I would
have been a lot less stressed than I am now.
Another thing I would
other students is to always communicate with your professors. I have discussed
my stresses and obligations with my professors and they have been very
understanding. It doesn’t change the fact that my due dates are still the same
or that I am still expected to complete my work, however they know I’m not
missing class for something frivolous. By communicating, my professors also
become a support system because they empathize with being overwhelmed in a
graduate course. They’re there to help so students shouldn’t hesitate to speak
with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment