My main activities for
the previous weeks have consisted of brainstorming, speaking with colleagues,
researching and completing my project proposal. Before being able to begin writing
my project proposal I had to complete several different tasks. The first one
was brainstorming.
Normally
before I do any type of project I have to brainstorm. Brainstorming for me can
take many different forms. I often create charts, lists or even free write.
When I am stuck on a certain idea or am not sure of which direction to go, I
will also contact former colleagues. After brainstorming several ideas of
possible projects I narrowed it down to three possible clients. My choices were
technology teachers at Harker Heights High School in Killeen ISD, the
Technology Department at Salado ISD or Frankston Middle School in Frankston
ISD. I then planned on contacting former colleagues at each of these locations.
However, I first called Principal Chris White because it had been several years
since I worked for him as a middle school Technology teacher.
Principal
White and I discussed my Capstone project and different type of deliverables it
could create. Since it was the week before the teachers came back to school for
in-service training, I asked him to keep an eye out during faculty meetings and
trainings for possible project ideas. We talked for a second time and that was
when Principal White discussed the state testing scores for his economically disadvantaged
students and how he wanted to increase their scores this school year. We
brainstormed together and finally decided that the teachers needed professional
development on what qualified a student as economically disadvantaged, what the
past testing scores for his economically disadvantaged students were and how to
help teachers increase those economically disadvantaged students’ scores.
Principal White and I discussed the best way to accomplish his overall main
goal and my semester project goal. After weighing the options, we opted for the
creation of an online training module.
Before
beginning my project proposal I had to complete research. Even though I have
several years of teaching experience I could not tell someone exactly what
qualified students as economically disadvantaged nor how to find that
information. I began by looking up this information on the Texas Educational
Agency website and the Department of Education website. After I found an
explanation of the qualifications, I then worked on compiling the testing data
for Frankston Middle School. Principal White offered some of this data while I
had to go through the TEA Academic Excellence Indicator System for the rest.
While composing this data, I found a few errors where the data didn’t match and
that the research a little bit more difficult. By working through the data and
researching several different educational agencies, I was able to begin my work
on my project proposal.
My
project proposal stressed me out a little. My main error at the beginning of
starting it was not going and looking at the examples given to us by Dr. Pan.
If I had viewed those examples from the very beginning I would have been able
to complete my project proposal a lot faster. The problem area was easy to
write about. Once I became knowledgeable about economically disadvantaged
students, I became passionate about the subject. Before this project I would
have never known that our daughter would be considered economically
disadvantaged if she was in school currently. All because her daddy is the only
one that works in our family and Uncle Sam doesn’t pay his soldiers a whole
lot. I also didn’t realize that 60% of the K-12 students in the state of Texas
are considered economically disadvantaged. The hardest part about the project
proposal was completing the charts for the instructional goal and objectives
and the action plan chart. I have no idea why these parts gave me issues but
they did. I couldn’t think straight. In the end, my study buddy Shannon told me
to go and look at the examples that Dr. Pan had given us. Looking at the past
examples helped tremendously. They gave me a clear idea of what to do and how
to fill the charts out.
My short-term work objectives and my plans for achieving each
objective for the next week are as follows:
- Complete my first reflection paper – doing so now
- Turn in project proposal for Mr. White to view –
viewing now
- Begin creating storyboards for website – by 9/24
- Create Website Shell – by 9/24
- Complete research compilation – by 9/15
- Begin first EconDa Module – by 9/24
- Send Storyboards to Mr. White for approval – 9/24
Lessons Learned
Since this is my first
synopsis, I have learned several things about myself. I have learned that I
work better when I have an early start on a project. I began looking for ideas
and brainstorming for this project after Dr. Pan sent us our first email
introducing us to the class. That early start helped me plan and organize
everything that I wanted to accomplish. I would encourage other students to do
the same. Don’t procrastinate. Get a head start on anything you can. Especially
when it is a class like this and with this much work where you must manage
yourself and your own time.
I have also learned that
I work best when I have a friend or “study buddy” in class. I work better when
I have someone else to talk to about class and to help me remember important
dates and assignments. Shannon has helped me immensely while also making class
fun. She has reminded of several things that I needed to complete or totally
forgot about. And she is better than I am when it comes to PMBOK. She helps me
understand things that I might not understand in class. I would tell other
students to get a study buddy! One that makes you is supportive, realistic and
makes you laugh!
The last lesson that I
have learned is that I am really having a hard time balancing school work, my
little girl, and my family and moving to Fort Riley, KS. I feel as if I am
barely treading water. My advice to other students is to communicate with your
professors, prioritize and breathe! Also, accept help from others. Most of the
time I am too stubborn to accept assistance but I am slowly learning to be
humble and thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment